View My Stats

Friday, November 14, 2014

RANT- car & food

Usually I let stuff slide. But things have been piling up. It all boils down to people not caring and taking short cuts and being deceitful.


Top of the list is when you can no longer trust a mechanic- especially one you have dealt with for over 30 years. I got two tires at Cape & Islands Tire and while they did that work they noticed I need brake pads. They also noticed that the mechanism behind the wheel- the calipers or whatever were installed backwards or reversed- what ever- they were installed improperly and the tube has been rubbing on the tire and wearing out. Top that off with the remark- "we wouldn't work on it is is too rusty". It is NOT "rusty" grrrrrrrrrrrr.

okay so that brings up what got me to get tires to begin with. I got my car inspected in September early to get it out of the way and avoid the rush. I knew with Winter coming on I should get new tires. When trying to read the numbers on the tires so I could call and ask prices I took pix. When I looked at the photos the front passenger side tire was so worn I could see belt and threads. hmmmm apparently the inspection wasn't that thorough.



So while I am on the subject of auto repairs. Small business people have GOT to either have an answering machine with a clear message, or answer their phones certain times of the day. AND when you do answer the phone do not rush the customer and say you are busy. That busy either hire a receptionist or do not answer the phone.

oh and do not laughingly say the product you sell is made in China and not offer ANY American made .

now on to food

I shop in big stores that are big enough and have enough employees to make sure the shelves are full and dates checked. I am really tired of fresh products not being available and all freshness dating gone by. Alert Shaw's Star and Trader Joes. I doubt I could afford to shop at Whole Foods all the time but I am considering eating less and shopping only once a month.

So the other morning I grab a Fig Newman out of the freezer to munch on. One bite and the roof of my mouth was pricked by something sharp. I spit the cookie out and examine it for glass etc and it appeared to be a pastry brush hair bent in half. No matter what it was it did not belong in the cookie. The freaking package of cookies is not cheap.

Then on to soy milk. I have a milk and nut allergy. So no milk and no almond milk. Rice milk and coconut milk do not have enough protein. I was using chocolate soy milk for years mostly from Trader Joes . The price was right etc. Then all of a sudden no more on the shelves ANYWHERE. So I ended up drinking WestSoy vanilla soymilk. fine, a little more expensive but good enough. All of a sudden no where on the shelves not even in Shaws/Star markets. So when at Trader Joes last I picked up 2 quarts of non fat soy milk- I forget what the other choice was but I think it was plain. I open that and first the lid was leaky so shaking it produced a mess even over the sink. I pour it into the measuring cup and it was beige brown. Looked like you could read through it and it looked like a backed up cesspool. NOT palatable. They should at least have a note on the carton that color may vary- and at the very least say it will be nothing like what pictured on the box.Called them twice, finally connected with a live person and she said that is the color of non fat. Said they have a new lid now a screw top. Never offered me a coupon for my inconvenience.



next food- soynut butter and sunflower seed butter. Be consistent people. Hire a taste tester. I shouldn't have to guinea pig each jar to see if it tastes like cardboard or rancid. AND again Shaws and Star market- get the freaking old product off the shelves. Reading that small print is bad enough- having old stuff only is bad bad bad.

Yogurt- more freshness dating lax habits. I end up buying one flavor because it is the only flavor with dates not either gone by or too soon to go by. Makes me feel postal when I have that choice. This is America not some third world country with no refrigeration.

*** rant interrupted by internet meltdown ***

I think that's it for now I will add more later if needs be.

No comments:

Post a Comment