View My Stats

Monday, June 4, 2018

RANTS-Favors

A few days ago I was contacted by an acquaintance to drive him back from an eye appointment  in Mashpee. I asked what time? appointment was 2 pm. So, many messages back and forth it was agreed he would pick me up here at 12:45pm to give plenty of time for traffic.

Day arrives and it is pouring rain. I am mulling over all the worst case scenarios and the solutions. Even down to renting a car here and driving over to pick him up. I planned on stopping at AC Moore while he was at Home Depot or Jo Ann Fabrics while he was in Perry's for fire extinguishers.  He did the Home Depot thing last night so.
It was agreed he would drive down and I would drive back and that I could choose the route to take back. ha ha ha

I messaged him this morning to make sure the driver's seat was easily adjustable- I am 5'4" he is 6'7". Funny response from him- yes the springs are broken but if you grab a hold of the steering wheel you should be able to do it. Last guy that drove his car was short like you and had no problem.
No offer to adjust the seat for me. ha ha ha.

12:30pm the parking lot below was full of cars and obstacles. 12:40pm the parking lot was pretty much empty. A woman backing out almost ran me down not expecting a pedestrian there. So I got ready and stood out by my mailbox. The tree protected me from the down pour. He was on time but did not see me so I had to walk back to his car that speedily made it next to mine parked there. ugh.

I  put my fleece blanket down on the seat get in and struggle with the seat belt and off we go. I tried to encourage him to take the back roads to 6A and then a left onto rt 130. He would have none of that. Took back roads to Station Avenue and took Mid Cape from there. Taking the exit 5 for 149 then rt 28. I see Botellos and know we are almost there. It is 1:40pm. A bit of small talk then he decided to go in at 1:50pm just in case he has to fill out forms.

I say I will stay in the car. I know if I sit in a waiting room with someone I may fart just to get out of there.

I had my Kindle. Wished I had brought knitting and my Fire 7 just in case they had wifi.

So rain pelting the windshield. I read a bit, I feel cold. Glad I wore layers anyhow but wished I had worn my Winter jacket.

The hand brake was on and kept hitting my elbow. Or I it. LOL

People watched a bit. wow every shape size and color and attitude went in and out of that office. Some of it amusing. One guy talking to himself or had earphone and was on his phone was so huge I thought he would never fit through the doorway. Shorts on a nice shirt and sneakers. I sit there freezing my ass off.

women in and out. One showed up alone and stood there. A cigarette in hand. A man came up to her- he looked like an EMT and assured her this is where she had an appointment. She smoked this butt and it was long!  Short puffs little smoke. about less than half down and flicks it to the ground and stomps it out. what!?

Time drags on I check my phone clock seems like every 7 minutes. It is almost 3pm and I get optimistic that he will come down the ramp soon.  3:30 pm still no show. I begin to wonder if he is in some room waiting and forgotten by the staff.  I grab my bag and head to the door. Two women struggling down the hall to the door so I hold the door. They inch on out- the older of the two has a walker with tennis balls on the two back legs. I hustle on into the office look around and do not see him. I ask the clerk and she says he just went in the office. JUST? I said incredulously.. oh brother. So I head out to he car to read some more. But the walker and the other woman are standing there in the rain having navigation problems. I offer to help. We make some progress. I ask if she wants help getting to her car. She says yes but she will bring the car over- she points to a black car and tells me my "friend" is Chloe! I ask Chloe how the eye appointment went. she says "what? "  your eyes how was the appointment. She wipes her nose and says  "okay I guess"
I totally get that ! LOL

Slow process getting Chloe in the car she cannot hitch herself in and then back in the seat to make the seat belt fit. Seat belt latched and I help her get her arm in the right place and catch my long hair in everything. We laugh. I am thanked and I feel  like I did something and get back in the car in the driver's seat so I can practice directionals etc and adjust the seat and mirror. and read some more. The rain is really coming down now and it is 4pm. All of a sudden I see this youthful body racing down the ramp legs flying. It is him LOL so much for dodging raindrops.

I had the car in D for backing up. He noticed, otherwise I would have taken down that lovely birch tree. LOL no excuses here.

Take  a left out into traffic to get to Hyannis and Perry's. I have lost all interest about Jo Ann Fabrics and I am never asked. We get to Perry's and I turn around and park by the door for him to pick up and pay. He tells me to shut off the car. fucking no way. good grief. So 2 by 2 the extinguishers get in the back and I hope with a sudden stop they do not, all 4 of them, seek out the back of my head.

I take a right out of Perrys to shoot through Sears and then  a right out of the mall near the mattress place. I wanted to take rt 6a back. no no no way do that.  Good grief what happened to me taking the route I want on the way back. But I zip my lip. Take rt 28  ask if he wants to visit his mother's grave- no he was there when he came back from Florida. Thanks. Then to the Old North Main in Bass River South Yarmouth. Then shoot across and take the road that goes by the golf course. More construction. Then Upper County to 28 and back here. The puddle was still huge. I back into a spot here so he does not have to navigate with his eyes so much to get out. He asks if the puddle on the other side is big. yes at least 2 feet deep. But I think why the fuck do you think I came this way? ugh I gather my things and he says "Thank you I wish I could pay you in some way." (Well yeah you said that at the beginning of all this. I expected nothing and guess what! LOL)  then continues " But that fell through" Inside I am laughing. What fell through? Was all that talk about restaurants a hint and when I said I do not eat in restaurants that was out. Or when we talked about where I shop for food and he wondered why not Stop & Shop. And me saying because I do not like the store- that wasn't a good enough excuse.

This was exhausting.

I thought to myself , anyone not totally clueless knows a person, a woman especially, retired and living on social security alone and drives an 18 year old car- offer 5 bucks for crying out loud. even a dollar.

but then  again maybe he doesn't have it.

ugh
next time I will let the sarcasm rip.

pix from today










No comments:

Post a Comment