View My Stats

Friday, May 17, 2019

BUS-Free Bus Wednesdays-May 2019

 May 8 2019

First free bus of the year since November 2018 I think. I had to go to the post office and their scale system crashed I was early anyhow and then proceeded to walk towards Hyannis so I would not have the bus at my back and miss it. I got almost to the Chatham Harwich border and stood there. The bus was 20 minutes late. Good thing it was a nice day- meaning clear skies- it was still cold! Got into town and headed to the town offices to vote and hand in the form for absentee ballots for the year.  Come to find there is only this one election for 2019. From there to the restrooms at the parking lot I knew I would never make the entire trip without a visit there. Then to Oyster Pond and then to CVS. Amazing CVS had two things I had been looking for for years- Nivea creme in a tiny flat tin jar and a lip balm cherry. Not as tasty as Cherry Chap Stick but really nice. Got a card for my friend then headed over to Seaside. Took a video of Maria Fannie Brown's monument- she was killed by a locomotive in 1879. Tidied up the Chrystie plot then walked through the cemetery. Noticed that the veteran stones in the front were over grown. I had cleaned them up a few years ago never thinking they would cover so quickly. I thought of fixing that but decided against it- too much stooping and digging for me now. I will try to make sure they get flags though for Memorial Day. Finished there in perfect time to catch the bus back to the apartment and lunch.
Pix
Near town hall- always construction somewhere


Oyster Pond calm and no boats but moorings are in.


Approaching the old A&P and CVS parking lot I see new crosswalks painted red. I assume, jokingly for women on shark week- their own special crosswalk. I wish towns states and cities would stop painting pavement- it is slippery. And let's face it- no one sees that with a foot of snow on the ground or at night.


over to Seaside. I took some crystal globe photos too but those are for a separate blog post.
distant view of Maria Fannie Brown monument and the veteran graves





Locomotive death 1879

May 15 2019
Trip to Hyannis for hiking boots fail. ugh
On my walk to get there I realized I packed everything but the kitchen sink and forgot my cough drops. I had my carrier on wheels thinking I would get boots too heavy to carry. Glad I did because everything was too heavy LOL So I went into the liquor store as there was a delivery. stupid me I did not realize it was delivery door. oh well clerk was friendly and pointed out where the cough drops were. paid cash and headed to post office. 
Bus was a bit late per usual . I went to the post office first to mail a package and the scales crashed again. We were laughing about it but I would not have been too pleased if I missed the bus.
Get on bus and awkwardly sit down with carrier at my feet. This is going to be a long day I can tell. Catch the shuttle to the Mall and find the rest rooms. Wow the food court is basically empty of restaurants. browse the stores. Walking store had no hiking boots. They sent me to the Shoe Department where a former Sears employee works- he wasn't there though and they had nothing in my size or the men size 9 I needed. groan. I was too disgruntled to even bother with Macy's continued to take pix and then stood outside and waited for the bus back to the terminal. One showed up quickly as I finished sitting and eating WASA bread. oh those benches are rough on a no ass ass. LOL This shuttle was somewhat full with one woman conversing with the driver. The shuttle before this had a man on it sitting in basketball shorts talking loudly to himself. Combed his hair repeatedly. He was diagonally across from me. The woman in front of me was eying him waiting for him to pounce on her and her grandson I guess. It was a little disconcerting but seems very prevalent. Spooky thing was he was saying how crazy people cannot say the alphabet backwards and he proceeded to do just that. THEN he said "this is the longest word in the dictionary" and he spelled out  
 "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis". Spooky thing about that is my father was forever quoting that as being the longest word but he spelled it

pneumonoultramicroscopicvolcanosilicosis. At least that is how I remember it. And now to bury that back where it belongs.

ugh hate went the font and size changes. oh well
I get back to the terminal and wow that had changed a lot. Ride back was crowded and the driver missed the Stop & Shop stop and had to go back. Got back here after over 5 hours away. 2:30pm hungry and tired.
These will be in no particular order LOL getting sloppy and this is just the second post. new terminal layout







leaving Hyannis one building kind of boarded up and on the way back a "head shop" in West Dennis!



and the mall: much cleaner look and pretty slick










 until next trip
May 22 2019
still no hiking boots but took the bus to Dennis Port today and got sneakers. and they had Reebok Zip lites! almost 100 bucks though geez.
Left here a bit after 9am stood on rt 28 for about 5  minutes and the bus showed up. I think it took less than 15 minutes to get to Dennis Port. I wanted to take pix of the old Benny's that is no longer there. Mentally I misjudged how far that was from the Shoe Market. phew. Went to Benny's first. This is where, for many years, everyone went to buy a bicycle, a vacuum, vacuum bags, rubber gloves, auto parts, tires, clothes drying racks etc. I bought all of those things there and they always had a real bargain rack for lounging fleece pajama bottoms.




I actually applied for a job there eons ago. The interview was in a tiny office. I did not get the job. :)
So I left benny's and walked towards the Shoe Market. egads the road construction. Noise, no sidewalks , ( not that there ever were ) and the wind was in my face. Thought oh good on the way back it will be at my back. Wrong. It was till in my face. oh well. Shoe store was open even though sign said 10am. I asked she said come on in. I glanced for hiking boots. nope. Saw they had Zip Lite Reeboks egads almost 100 bucks. I grabbed those and a couple of pairs of Skeechers (sp). Always hopeful I can wear something light and less expensive. Well they only had black in those and they were slip ons. so Tried on size 9 Reeboks and they fit. Being as I was walking I said can I have just the sneakers you keep the box. She said no returns without box. So I took the box. I asked if Ralph still worked there. He was a shoe guy I worked with briefly in the West Chatham Westies ( no longer there). No he died of cancer over 8 years ago. :(
Sorry to hear that. Well I was out of there juggling three bags, LOL and shifting weights. And walking towards Chatham direction. It was only a little after 10am. The bus was not due to whiz by until 10:11. So I had at least 10 minutes of wandering to do and quickly looking over my shoulder looking for the bus. I got as far as the Municipal parking lot- quite a trek- and bus showed up at 10:17 or there abouts. Huge brand new bus. Even had new car smell. bleck.
Sights along the way
first set are the way to the shoe shop





oh boy an uncovered manhole cover ahead! oh the temptations.



some interesting houses along the way.








new bus came over the hill and on we went.
back in Chatham- loved the shadows of these people on bikes. and what looked like a cat toy on the path back LOL

left a bit after 9 and back a little after 11am. time flew.

***

No comments:

Post a Comment