View My Stats

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

GARDEN: 2021 flowers here and elsewhere

 February 28 2021

Some critter was more anxious than I was to start a garden this year. There was soil scattered everywhere below from my pots. The worst near my lower door- track that stuff in and it is forever in  your boots.


Wish I could plant more edibles but the season is too short- basically last year I did not get to plant anything until June 1st. so. Wildflowers again and maybe some violets and a carefree petunia.

March 30

April 1


***

Tree out front keeps looking like it will not bloom this year.

bulbs peeping up

April 12

trying to keep the pots cultivated

bulbs up!

Jer gave me some purple pansies to plant!



Jer's box of pansies at his office

grape hyacinths coming up in the lawn out front!

April 14




April 14- evening sun on dafs

May 1

Mom's bulbs at Seaside


**

May 2

along the roadside. Makes all of us happy!


 May 6 

here

season for bulbs was short this year.

**

May 6

one lonely daffodil near bike trail


 **

May 24

well I think the garden is all set for the season- just have to water and fertilize once a month and enjoy

outside my door below

Verbena-NEW


 

Volunteer honeysuckle bush where I planted a peach seed 7 years ago LOL

 

volunteer spearmint the stuff grows everywhere but where I have planted it


The verbena that has bloomed -NEW


carefree petunia-pink-NEW


red geranium trying hard!- NEW


yellow marguerites-NEW  and the new sneakers I bought in 2019 and this is the 2nd time wearing them LOL hoping the daisies are perennials


lobelia-NEW


rosemary-NEW


cosmos in the back long pot-NEW


an extra cosmos- NEW


ginger mint julip- NEW. this and the rosemary came in a pot that you plant! wish all of them came that way.


rose of Sharon

pink honey suckle- thought it was a goner this year- same with the double hydrangeas and the tree out front. they were just a bit slower this year.


put two cosmos in with the pansies - NEW


 columbine- always amazed this returns.


purple carefree petunia- NEW


 and of sentimental value the mini strawberry plant Mom had back in 1996

When she was a child up to her teens her father always brought something home "strawberry". When she was a teenager he brought home 6 yards of material with strawberries all over it. Saying to her "stay home , and stay away from those nasty boys" LOL She married at 19.

chipmunks have first dibs on the sparse fruit.


The espaliered hydrangea


oak leaf hydrangea- it attracts tiny green bees- fascinating to watch.

***

May 9

Harwich Center bulb display

 

May 10

Brother's customer's roses below for me to enjoy too




bulbs out front

Canadian Mayflower getting ready to bloom

May 17

more of those customer roses before they leave and are planted


**

and of May beginning of June

Canadian  Mayflower


 








**

June

Daisies, columbine , carefree petunias


 





**

June 5

daisies  make a full appearance out front.

red geranium


yellow marguerites

daisies below

verbena


**

June 5

glad I got these pictures of the Canadian Mayflower- when the men did the cleanup I think they mowed most of it.


**

June 8

the shadows of the daisies blowing in the wind.


 June 7









June 11

I rearranged things today but no pix of that. Last night I got some pix of the purple petunia with the late day sun bleeding out the color and the pink honey suckle.






**

June 11

garden rearranged




crooked pansies ought to bother some people LOL


verbena moved to chairs


love the aroma of the ginger mint julep

The hydrangea are slow this year- we will see.

**

June 14

water bowl for birds empty again- something is drinking from it I am sure.

**

June 19

Garden so far and the volunteers to the right have bloomed.


 

and at Seaside the plant at Mom's grave suffered from drought twice. I only go there once a week.

watered it thoroughly and returned Sunday and watered again. it had revived.

 also same day the first cosmos opened!

June 23 





wind blown bees and bell flowers


June 29





**

July 4 

Mom's impatiens survived another drought! We got rain that revived. 

Garden in setting sun light


July 5

I was rotating the pots that I could easily lift- and placing them on the seats of the chairs around the glass top table below. It became too hot and too dry so I stopped that. Also the garden is really struggling with this hot-cold day syndrome.

But when out rotating laundry saw a cool looking green beetle and took pix. Came inside and looked it up- oops a stink bug. So I sprayed it with wintergreen alcohol and it eventually died feet up on it's back but it took awhile.




July 7

while I stepped in dog shit I was taking flower pix



cosmos and pansies


August 1

sure is a struggle. That'll teach me to not buy so many plants. just stick with 2 maybe 3 big pots. cosmos opening



oak leaf hydrangea

some more cosmos

and my favorite the ginger mint julep has been taken over by the spearmint that grows wild. It was alone in a pot doing well. I grouped all my pots together during a hot spell for easier watering. When I separated them later and placed this near my door below I thought it looked extra lush. Upon close look it was ALL spearmint. I will try to  see if the Ginger Mint Julep is in there somewhere! It smells great nonetheless.

*



August 3

I always marvel at the above Queen Anne's Lace and the multiple tiny flowers that are perfection.


took 20 shots to get that almost clear moth LOL

**

August 6

Rose of Sharon in bloom! and a Queen Anne's lace highlighted by yellow daisies

August 9






garden from above


rose of Sharon from above

we had a heat wave and I mean humidity and horribly hot in the 90s here for a stretch. The oak leaf hydrangeas usually turn pink about now and browner later. This year they burnt like a crisp. Pink just briefly.




but the white cosmos seemed to love it and flourish!

August 26

looks like cosmos love heat. and the verbena are looking better




August 28

peppermints and verbena


*

August 31

rearranging  pots to make room for a glass top table- which ended up in the semi circle after all ha ha


 



particularly straggly since they have gotten so tall.

hosta still surviving barely, while hidden.

of today September 9 we have had heavy rains. Will be interesting to see what survives intact.

September 1

verbena out front I have moved the red pink white one back here.


September 10 & 11



September 12

picked some mint for drying


*

not sure what this is- all of a sudden it blossomed in the wilds outside the windows of the sun room. I looks like a honey suckle variety.



*

September 27

fungi


 



*

October 7

after a long few days of rain and the frustration of "no stove" I worked in the garden cleaning up- little by little. cleared out verbena and petunias. moved mint and added soil to hydrangea bed.















Jer's which they planted somewhere this morning

*

geranium still has color but ready to be pulled up. The pansies cannot be discouraged


 rosemary keeps getting blown over but hope it survives the Winter.The Ginger Mint Julep looks mighty sad and curled up. Hope that makes it through the Winter- it is supposed to be a  perennial.

*

December 7

The geraniums struggling. We will see what they do with the warm weather headed this way next week.


December 29

purple pansy still!

*







No comments:

Post a Comment