View My Stats

Thursday, March 2, 2023

2023: STRUCTURES- HIP ROOF & MANSARD ROOF & LIGHTHOUSES & ABANDONED

 Wikipedia roof shapes


March 2

I check out the probate and assessor's pages a lot. notice roof descriptions and it usually says gable, but some said "hip" so I decided to investigate and see how may I found while out on errands. Funny thing is while doing laundry there were two right across the street. And the old Monomoy theatre has one.

February 25-on my way to Crosby Landing beach I saw this to my left! it is small but looks hip to me

I think I will double check town records when I can and see if they are all hip.

later

*

okay these two are side by side 700 block of main street Chatham  one says hip roof ( the lower structure) the other says gable


hip- built 1916

next door looks hip to me but marked Gable-791 main
Old Monomoy Theatre does not say hip but looks it to me

81 Depot built 1900 hip roof


West Chatham Post office building


Jane Hafker's old house built 1876- mansard roof

1501 Main


March 7
I think Stage Harbor road will try to remember to get a clearer photo.
Barn Hill Road shed?
*
March 6
Winslow Landing rt 6A Brewster. Was this Foster Square at one time.oh oops Foster Square still there further West LOL

6A Brewster

*

March 6
hip roof on a cuploa LOL


*
March 7
hip roof Barn Hill road
Stage Harbor road
*
Fire at 791 Main street Chatham- location of a hip roof I photographed across from the laundromat on February 26
*
Bishops Terrace Harwich rt 28 photo from 2017

Main street Chatham across from old Eldredge Garage-2017
Sibley property gone now- has a conical roof- rt 28 across from Shop Ahoy complex-

guess it is called a dome roof

Eldredge garage photos from 2016 & 2017. Main street-hip roof


House renovation in Yarmouth Port mansard roof

West Chatham post office structure

Avellar house corner rt 28 and  Cockle Cove road South Chatham
House on Depot Road Chatham

Structure near Agway in Orleans.

In the distance outside the ER  in Hyannis

Across from Chatham Post Office cupola
Residence diagonally opposite entrance to rt 137 in South Chatham.

Better view of the one on Depot Road Chatham

*
March 12
Hip roof at Pizza place next to post office

790 Main street listed as gable roof- built 1930
*
March 5
hip roof in distance from lobby of ER

1501 Main Street Chatham
Mansard built 1876 used to be owned by Bill Hafker

*
okay I seem to be repeating myself sorry!
747 Main
*
Perry the lawyer rt 6A Brewster-mansard with HIP at top
*
Hip roof on pump house at Seaside cemetery


Chase library - Harwich-Dennis border

6A Brewster
hip roofs


Bass River near the bridge
Chatham- old Eldredge Garage
Dennis- building on South Street East Dennis

60 & 84 Old Harbor Road
darker one on right is #80 built in 1910
whiter one built in 1918 #84-has more property in back
*
hmmm in researching the above two, I was curious if David & Brenda Thomson still lived off Old Harbor Road. Yes they do and saw that their son inherited a relative's house, a Reynolds related to David for 1.00. Built in 1910. I remember Florence. Her head was sensitive to cold same as mine we wore head covering the whole year.
*
March 13
Barn Hill Road shed again-without pole in the way

Doc Keene's Scout Hall need better photo

front view of pizza place near post office

March 26
colorful hip roof on Old Harbor Road

March 27
other Old Harbor hip roof

April 2
house fire diagonally across from Chatham Post Office has a hip roof between 2 front visible roofs

April 2
Stage Harbor Road.
I thought I was taking a photo of Peter Hartley's ( high  school English teacher) house. Turned out to be Eddie, Ronnie and Ann Eldredges' parents house



*
April 9
Doc Keene Scout Hall
*
April 15
Stage Harbor road better angle
headed to Strong Island

*
April 29
I am always on the lookout for the hip style roof on Cape Cod. Saw this on rt 6A recently. Does anyone know what it is? I do not know- so I am asking. Thanks. It is somewhere between Sandy Neck Beach and Barnstable.
it almost looks like something official
the above turns out to be apartments
*
This red trimmed house is somewhere on route 6A

another on rt 6A

on the way to Eastward Ho
*
May 7
Alvin Davis's house in South Chatham- never noticed the garage in the rear has a hip roof as well!\

Danny Eldredge the newspaper guy's house in South Chatham
Walgreens roof at Dennis Harwich line


May 7
100 George Ryder Road South- lighthouse attached

May 13
hip roof rt 6a Cummaquid

June 17
in researching other houses I ran across this one in tax records that has three chimneys and was built early 1800s

303 is Breathwood which used to be Otis Russell's mother's built in 1850- next to it is 315 and actually listed as Three Chimneys! built in
1700! Imagine the history!
June 24
Liberty Hall in Dennis built 1844
June 24
abandoned private home or business- rt 28 Yarmouth

*
December 30
while posting a photo for the day I noticed it had 2 hip roofs! Highland Light in Truro

*



































No comments:

Post a Comment