View My Stats

Thursday, January 6, 2022

2022-BEACHES AND HIKES

I will see if I can simplify and well we will see.

Tuesday January 4

Cloudy and rainy here since December 25th. Finally the forecast was clear skies. I did my chores Knit&Walk and ate breakfast and then left here a little after 10am. Got back after 1pm. On my list was: Cahoon Hollow Beach, Lecount Hollow Beach, the railroad track hike in Wellfleet. On the way decided to check out Marconi site- still a favorite

Turning in I saw signs at the rail trail. Thought I would read them on the way out. Looks like the trail head is closed where I wanted to check it out of course.


 






*

Then to Lecount Hollow



Cahoon Hollow I could not find. Drove to the end of the road and across the way it said Ocean View but looked like a private way. so I wnet back to the parking lot at a huge pond- turned out to be Great Pond.

Drove to Wellfleet center and wanted to walk Uncle Tim's bridge but the parking lot was full of huge puddles. Then on to First Encounter Beach.

Water was up on the road!


decent view of the fire tower

*

January 13

waters looked like ice when I was on my way to Orleans for food shop. On Pleasant Bay the ducks looked like they were sitting on top of ice. but nope the waters were just glassy! Harding's beach looked like ice but it was "smoke" on the water and invisible. Stage Harbor was very reflective.



 


*

February 11

they predicted a storm for Monday the 14th so I figured when the skies are blue I should take advantage of them Checked out the Harding beach shores "beach" which seems non existent 

looked like troubled waters to me.

whelk eggs

next time I will toss them in the water


Headed toward the non functioning light house. Just to the brink of the hill to see it. The winds were in my face and cold. heard bells in the distance it was a horse and rider and a dog.



almost there!



*


March 15

Walk to the Chatham-Harwich boundary stone. A lot of interesting things along the way.Horse, bike in a tree Newly sprayed mile markers that make no sense. I tied yarn in the shrubs- trees so I know the way next time.Lots of trees down and one I tripped over on the way back.

 










the above is the one where I tripped on the way back


here is the border marker in the distance. I was sure I has missed it and it was buried in downed trees.

*





videos

Hike to boundary marker

oops! 

**

*

 March 19

was going to check out Kent's Point in Orleans. off Keziah off Monument road.The road is narrow full of pot holes and one you get to the parking are it is full and difficult to turn around. So I backed up.


 March 27

and then  there is Baker's Pond in Orleans.

I passed the road twice. Long road the turn is on the right into a puddle pot hole filled small parking lot. no view from it. So scratch one more from my list!



*

Hardings Beach same day wicked windy with kite sailors

*

Ryders Cove so blue!

May 9

so I HAD to walk to the post office to mail a package and a card. Best friend's birthday on the 14th and a former friends birthday on the 10th. The package should have been mailed on Saturday. But the post office is only open 10am to noon and I had other errands. The former friend has not answered emails. which is highly unusual- I mostly get a short answer right back. So now I will either hear from him or the post office. The winds were vicious and it was cold. I had those winds in my face no matter what direction. It felt good to be back on the bike path but I am so tired of heavy clothes hanging on me and screwing up with a nerve in my neck. The short cut path looked so inviting. There were various signs around with "opinions" displayed. When I was taking a photo of one a car/truck had stopped for me to cross and beeped for me to  cross. Amazing how I had to communicate that I was NOT crossing and I usually wait for no cars. oh well. Assorted litter and plenty of things blocking my way on the sidewalk. Pedestrians get no respect.










oh forgot the nice yellow wild flowers


April 23

Rock Harbor


that black "bag" I thought may have concealed a body. I did not want to venture down that ramp anyhow.

across the way looks like a nice secluded beach but I bet you get bombarded with seagulls and shells when the boats come in with a catch

*

May 22

 Last night I decided to screw Sunday laundry, maybe next week. This morning I decided to screw KNIT & WALK. did 10 minutes of hand ball exercises then went to Harding's beach before 6am. Needed this desperately. Lots of pix and it was lovely. Lots of fishermen. but the shockers were- no seashells. not one. no stones or rocks on the beach. There was plenty of seaweed and what I thought was beach foam. Turned out to be thin plastic like saran wrap all along the shoreline.

Wonderful reflections in the marsh on the left as you approach the second parking lot

on the beach walking towards the first parking lot beach I saw something in the distance in the water. It looks like a tree but did not move with the waves so not a lost discarded Christmas tree as I first thought. Strange

the white foam - plastic

a bright green canister? of what? about the size of a propane tank


a NO DOGS sign but still dogs LOL

Dead bird

seal carcus? it was beginning to smell

This is where I decided to head back

some sunfish

or sail fish


an earnest fisherman


sweet peas!

the walk back on the Hoyt lighthouse path


 me waving

tackle disposal

 May 29

School house Pond. Had not been down there since the 60s. I wanted to check it out. The parking lot is huge and the pond bigger than I remembered.




always a dog





*

some how missed these files

January 27

Stage Harbor pier




 this was 2 days before the January 29th storm where I lost power and phone for 2 days and so did Roger and well many others.

*

June 26

Harding beach around 6am

Things people left behind at Harding's beach last weekend
Looks like a woman with bad PMS went fishing with a shotgun during a birthday party. 

shot gun shell

*

birthday balloon I brought it back poked a hole in it and disposed of in trash

*


an apple cored manually. At first look I thought it was a broken handle to something  until someone on facebook clarified what it was. Must have been fresh as they turn brown quickly.

*

plastic tampon applicator?

*

a caught fish leavings

*

it was a foggy start

*

Stage Harbor same day

Trying to identify this plant on the road side








July 3

Harding's Beach




Looks like I went back on the 4th

skies were blue at least





morning wood





first mermaid toe nail of the year- used to call them lacquer shell' Brought it back here and promptly lost it. Found a fragment of it in an incense jar later. LOL


someone built a sand mound or pyramid.





*

July 14

that mermaid's toe nail got lost in here somehow. but found it one morning while I was doing my parking lot walk. It was in the jar with holes in it that I use for the pebbles to mark rounds and burn incense in.

a fragment no less


 July 16

on my way to food shop I saw the water at Pleasant Bay was smooth and there were sail boats. No sails but still. I knew the water would not be calm on my way back so I stopped.


August 28

 got up earlier got down to Harding's before sunrise. Beautiful calm but the insects!!! I walked from the first parking lot towards to light house and walked up a dune when the sun rose and walked back on that path. Hard to breathe on the walk back I was glad to see the truck in the distance and get to sit down and catch my breath and eat some grapes.

This was the calm that greeted me






the above just before sunrise- by the time I got up the dune to catch it- it was up! and too bright to capture




this is my favorite


the truck ahhh

September 4

I think it has been more than a year since I was on this hike. A friend on facebook posted a photo of a bench with Tom Buckley's name on it and I searched for that and could not find it. either over by Abreaus or the Black Pond loop that is overgrown.


a few new memorial bench names

Melissa Danielle Weston Maniscalso


Leona Howes Goodspeed

Isabelle Davidson

Ann and Les Mahony


Gaudette and Merservey- with a view of Black Pond




*



 




then this bench with a note






*

Spetmeber 17

Cape Cod Sea Camps- a few small cottages- or camps along the way to First Light Beach




 









those are mats down on the sand for easy navigating.





This is off rt 6A almost opposite  Millstone Road in Brewster,

**

October 2

On my way back from errands I took Great Western Road. I have always been curious what this beach was called it is opposite Thatchers cranberry bogs. And found out his home is to the right.

a sign listing all rules for Harwich beaches.







October 9

Paine's Creek

parking lot was full! Drove through and got these pix. Maybe January LOL



October 16

Bound Brook- Sears Cemetery Brewster-Dennis line

these are the steps down- they are sturdy but slanted- I should use the grassy path instead.








always someone leaving a "memory" behind



then I see this left open to the elements. Sent them an email and never heard back





October 26
Felt nice to do something "normal" I wanted to mail a thank you note- not trusting that the mailman would swing through here. Took me over 35 minutes.
Not sure what this means but they used to sling sneakers over power lines. I cannot really tell what is hanging here.

this one added to google maps



a lot of construction going on where the foot doctor was / is.



















bonus found a chunk of quartz
*
October 30
Oyster Pond empty moorings

November 13
Met my dearest longtime friend in Falmouth,this morning.It took me an hour and a half to get there in the torrential rains. Both of the trucks we were driving got a  great washing underneath. Many of the puddles rivaled the one in Commerce Park. It was so worth it though. Great boost to MY morale. We went to WalMart first- me still searching for a cell phone. Let me say this: Cell phone companies are the most corrupt money grabbers on the planet. We were not in there long and I gave up. We hoped it would stop raining while in there. nope. But well worth getting soaking wet because we headed to Beebe Woods. On a sunny blue sky day it must be grand. It was pretty awesome in the rain.

from the parking lot looking up we would check that out later
Musical garden and beech trees!














are the tree fruit chestnuts?








^ a peek inside an Oriental rug and




2 videos from musical garden

you can hear the rain too.
*
November 17
Met up with dear friend again for a hike to the border stone for Chatham-Harwich in the woods near the power lines. Could not find it. an hour of trudging through the woods and came up empty. But a delightful walk. Beautiful day that is now frigid cold! Cleaned up the metal plate I found on the way back. It will be perfect for ice sculptures.
headed in wrong direction from the start



backs of leaves white- turn them over and they are brown-green etc. weird. They cleared overgrowth on the left, and someone got mad at a metal measuring tape.





shithouse for road workers. and both views of the power lines



a burial? not just a stack of sticks in the power line trail. regrading and paving the road that is parallel to the bike path



junk car addition and an aluminum plate decorated. It will make great ice sculptures I hope.
The plate cleaned up

November 19
after another disappointing shopping excursion to Hyannis I stooped at Bass Hole Gray's Beach to clear my head
I think they keep the potholes to slow people down









*
December 4
another disappointing shopping excursion to Dennis. New Guffy's had no turtleneck and the place had a bad vibe. Job Lot had no tension rods- but I did get yarn to donate and a gifrt card for 20 in its place. Could not use it then though. Then Big Lots had one size of the rods but you had to buy 2. So did that back to Chatham went to Seaside got gasoline and Hardings beach I did not intend on walking the beach but got out and walked to the water took pix and froze on the walk back with wind in my face yow!










December 18
Harding's beach








John George Paul Ringo

**
December 18
the lighthouse parking lot


*




No comments:

Post a Comment